Pages

Monday, February 1, 2010

Facebook ... "Friends"

First of all, thank you all for reading my blog. Secondly, why does no one ever comment!?! :( If I didn't have a tracker embedded into my page, I would think that no one reads it and might stop posting. *hint hint* Yes, please comment so I know you are all alive! :) AND... if you have a blog, give me the link and I will comment on yours!!

Now, onto today's topic: facebook friends. Some people have 100 or less, some have over 1,000. But how well do we really know all of our facebook friends? Most of us are 'friends' with them because we at one point in our lives were actually friends, but have since gone our separate ways and may not make contact for years at a time now. I know a lot of people who "facebook purge" every now and then and delete a huge chunk of their friends because they haven't talked with them in over a year, etc. I totally understand that, yet I cannot will myself to actually do that... and this is why.

Somehow, for reasons I do not know, I always have a few random run-ins/"reconnections" each year. Someone who is on my friend list whom I barely know will randomly reappear in my life. I had a friend from middle school whom I had not seen since 2000, and found out she had moved to L.A. So when I moved to L.A., we actually met up. I never thought I'd actually see her again, but because I didn't delete her, we did! Exact same scenario but with a friend from high school, also.

I've gotten work a couple of times from friends I went to school with (and haven't seen since) who knew I did sound and knew of someone who needed a sound person. Had I deleted them... no work! Also, there have been instances where I never thought I'd see the person again and he/she ends up in the same complex or ward! That has been the latest.

I have been 'facebook friends' with an old friend's ex-boyfriend ever since they dated... 3 years ago. I just never got around to deleting him, but as it turns out, it's a good thing I didn't because he just moved into my ward! I just can't make myself delete people! But in my defense, I *do* know all but about 3 on my list. And those few whom I don't actually know are for networking purposes. They work in film, we have about 30 friends in common, and they want to keep me on the back burner for the next time they need a sound person. I'm okay with accepting adds for work possibilities!

Anyway, this is a very random post of strange thoughts of mine that I happened to write out. Enjoy.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So, I was going to post a comment earlier, but your blog wouldn't let me. As someone who is prone to the occasion facebook purge, I commend you on your will power not to get rid of "friends" that you haven't seen or heard from in years. BTW: my blog is at http://steviljuice.blogspot.com Feel free to stop by anytime and leave a comment :)

Olivia Heilmann said...

I totally know what you mean about people not commenting. It is very frustrating.

As far as facebook goes, I just reconnected with a good friend of mine from my BROWNIE troop!!! Too fun!

HollyAnn said...

Look, a comment! haha
Seriously, though - I agree with the Facebook thing! Especially people like us, who've been all over the place and have friends from different sides of the country. Although, I *do* know that there are just some people - particularly from back East, from high school - that I won't/don't particularly care to keep in touch with.

PS - nobody comments on mine, either. :)

Chulitamaya said...

Hey join the club, besides you never comment on mine either and you even have a link to mine, ha ha. I know I have seen a couple of your comments every once in a while. I try to comment when I come to read your blog :)