Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 Year Anniversary

September 11th, 2001

World War III here we come. Today started out as any other day... until 3rd period in Mr. Chirhart's class. We were in the middle of a hard drive lab and Mr. Wiz comes in quietly, talks to Mr. C. for a few minutes, quietly leaves, and then out of the blue Mr. C. asks, "Anyone know anyone that works at the World Trade Centers?" We all looked around at each other and said "No...?" He said "Good - because a plane just crashed into one."

We were all like "what?!" and completely shocked. Then we weren't too in to our lab and he turned on the TV and we turned it on thinking we were watching the replay of the crash only to realize we were seeing a second crash live into the other tower. Now we were REALLY surprised and completely dumbfounded or tongue-tied.

We just sat there in silence watching the TV not really knowing what to do or say, and after a while, they showed us on TV that a third plane had just hit the Pentagon; but when Angie heard that, she started freaking out and saying - almost crying - "No! They did NOT just hit the Pentagon!! My DAD works IN the Pentagon!" After that she was really quiet and I didn't really know what to do or say.

From then on Mr. C. was really quiet too because he was trying to get a hold of his dad-->who also works in the Pentagon. He let Angie use his phone a few times too, but the phones were so jammed up nationwide, that it was impossible. Mr. C. looked like he was about to cry, too. I felt really bad for both of them but there was nothing I could do.

Then the bell rang and we all walked out still really stunned, yet spreading the word because not very many people had any idea what was going on yet. They were all just as shocked as us and as I got into class (Health, 5th period), I was like "Coach Mac, did you hear what happened?!?!" She said she had, but I could tell she didn't know the whole story.

We didn't do much in Health today either - just watched the news the entire class period. By 7th period, half the kids had been pulled out of school by their parents. It took me almost 2 hours to get home on the bus because there was so much traffic and chaos.

I found out later that Hayley's dad worked in the wing of the Pentagon that was hit, but he luckily was in another room watching the news when it hit, so he wasn't there, thank goodness.

-------------------------------

That was my entry on September 11th. Granted, it is written by a 15-year-old girl with lots of "we were like/they were like", but these words were what came to my mind on that day. I wish I had written more, because I was definitely feeling a lot more.

School was cancelled the next day. Two boys in our school lost their mother, and I'm sure several other surrounding schools lost someone too. There were several people in our ward who worked in the Pentagon at that time, but all were lucky and weren't in the area that was hit. I remember that bus ride... the longest bus ride in the world. Part of me wanted to just get out and walk because it seemed like it might be faster...I just wanted to get home!

On top of all of that, it was my poor father's birthday... not so happy of a birthday anymore. :/ It's really weird calling to say "Happy Birthday Dad!" when everyone else is somber and reflective.

Last September, I had the opportunity to travel to NYC for work and one of our interviewees was directly involved with some of the rescue attempts. He told us how he went under the rubble to search for survivors and he heard 3 taps (which was the response signifying "I'm here! Someone is here!") and wanted so badly to find him, but right at that point, everyone was evacuated from the area because it was unstable. They waited the obligatory time, but by the time he got back down there, the taps were gone. He never found the person. It was heart-wrenching to hear him tell the story through streams of tears. I can't even imagine what that would have been like to be there and KNOW someone down there was still alive, but not be able to save him before it was too late.

I don't really have a solid ending for this entry. Just a reflective entry, I suppose. One thing I do want to mention though is: support our troops. You can be totally against the war itself if you so choose, but don't turn your back on our troops. Whether you like it or not, there is a war going on and our people are over there fighting every day to preserve our freedom.

I am PROUD to be an American. I hope you are proud as well.

1 comment:

Olivia Heilmann said...

Marisa, that was really special. Thank you for sharing that with all of us.