Pages

Friday, September 30, 2011

A Cool New Way to Save Recipes

Okay, so I am still trying to get into the habit of writing more often. As you can see, not doing so hot yet! But hey, this is my third one in the same month! (just don't think about the fact that it's the last day of the month...)

I thought I'd share with you what I have been doing recently.

So, when I was little, I remember my mom always having a 3x5 box of recipes that she'd acquired from all over the place. Any time we cooked anything, she had me find the recipe in the box. I have several friends and family who keep all of their recipes in a big binder and I did try that, but it just didn't feel like... home. I guess we like what we know, and I definitely know 3x5 recipe cards.

That being said, while I wanted to transfer my favorites to 3x5 cards, I sure as heck did not want to spend hours upon hours writing them. I'd still rather type them and transfer them. Plus, regular 3x5 cards are so... boring! I wanted some with a little pizzazz!

I thought it would be fun to find some recipe templates online, but goodness gracious are they hard to find!! And what I mean is that ones that are free from lines or words. Just a cute design where I can do what I want with the rest.

Ultimately, I'm pretty sure that the route I took has already taken WAY more time than it would have just to write them all out by hand, but I guess I do have a lil creative juice in me after all and quite enjoyed myself while putting these cards together. I even downloaded a ton of really fun fonts to choose from!


I must admit that several of these recipes I have yet to try - they just looked so good that I knew I would want to try them... and soon!

So how did I do this? Actually, after being fed up with stupid recipe creator sites that wanted to charge me to do something I knew I was capable of doing, I said to heck with it. I opened up PowerPoint and never looked back. Turns out, you can save PowerPoint slides as pictures!

But where on earth was I going to find a place that actually prints 3x5 pictures? Pretty much every place has 4x6 and then a wallet size. WELL... after doing even more research, I found this awesome little site called mpix.com and they will print not only a 3.5x5 but a 4x5! I'm not entirely sure what a 4x5 is for, but hey! they have odd sizes. Hurray for the unusual!

So once I get a big chunk of them made up, I am going to upload them as individual pictures, have them printed off as 3x5s and voila! you have eggs! Sorry, that last part was an inside joke with my family.  

Also, this site is extras awesome because they have different print options that actually apply to what I want to print off. If I wanted a regular "high quality" picture it would be $0.29 per 'photo', but I really don't care if it is glossy or not, and there is an option that doesn't do color correction or gloss and it's only $0.19/ea instead! What did I say before? Oh yeah - hurray for the unusual!

Anyway, these are just a few of the ones that I have done so far. I think I've done about 30 at the moment, and I have awesome templates that I want to use for probably another 60. It's a fun lil hobby to have. :D

So if any of you have any absolutely AMAZING dishes and would like to share the recipe with me, I'll make it up like one of these and then give you a copy afterwards. I'm always looking for new recipes... so go ahead and comment, email, or facebook me with yours!! :)

1 comment:

Olivia Heilmann said...

Those are just so cute. I will email you some. :) Or facebook. :)