Pages

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Getting Older...?

Okay, so I know that I am by no means old, but it's still weird when people you grew up watching suddenly grow up too. haha. The most recent example of this is Melissa Joan Hart. I grew up watching "Clarissa Explains it All" (which, to clear anything up, no my name is NOT Clarissa and please do not ever ask me again to 'explain it all' (kids on my street growing up teased me about that ALL the time)) and "Sabrina the Teenage Witch." But those ended and I haven't really seen her in anything until now and suddenly she went from 20 to 30 lickety-split!

I was browsing available shows on Netflix instant play (we don't have any TV channels) and one called "Melissa and Joey" popped up. I thought, "Hey, why not?" I mean, I loved Melissa Joan Hart as a kid, let's see how this show is. It's kind of like a weird mix between Who's the Boss and Two and a Half Men. Melissa's character ends up in charge of her niece and nephew after her sister and brother-in-law are sent to jail, but she's a busy working woman and can't juggle both and ends up hiring a "manny" (male nanny) to help out. So it's like Who's the Boss in the sense that he's pretty much the housekeeper, but Two and a Half Men in the sense that neither of them have a clue how to raise children.

I will admit, it is a pretty funny show. It does have more innuendo than I would like, but it is definitely way toned down to most shows these days. Probably comparable to Still Standing or Grounded for Life... (though I still miss ones like Family Matters, Step by Step, and Sister Sister, where innuendo wasn't necessary). I have only watched a few episodes, but I have already been literally laughing out loud with no one else home.

Joey Lawrence in "Blossom"
By the way, the male nanny is Joey Lawrence, from "Blossom" and "Brotherly Love", whom I also have a hard time seeing as essentially a 'father figure' when all I can remember him saying was "Whoa!" (a clip would make it so much better) as a goofy teenager! I love the banter between the two, though. And he does a pretty good job as the pseudo dad.


I'm curious though, if they ever save and essentially "reuse" old sets (or parts of old sets) from sitcoms, because their set is like a combination of Reba and Boy Meets World. But that thought had absolutely zero relevance to the rest of the entry...

Anyway, another short and sweet entry. I find the show rather amusing and seeing as how it is still currently on the air, I hope it actually lasts more than a couple seasons...!

2 comments:

Zarah said...

I love Melissa and Joey! So funny, and yes a little too much innuendo.

I have no problem with actors getting old, getting old "suddenly" does take me by surprise, but whenever I think of my nieces and nephews or kids in my home ward, etc, I always think of them as the same age as when I last saw them. Such a huge shock when I see pictures of them and they are pretty much grown up or I hear of them in college, going on missions, or anything like that. So weird! I just never think of them getting older as well.

Olivia Heilmann said...

One of my favorite shows and two of my favorite actors. I think the set is so much like "Who's the Boss" which is funny because all they need is a 'Mona' and they are set. ;) LOVE IT