Pages

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Can I Get Your Number?

So... I was at this party last night in Beverly Hills (cool, huh?) and overall, it was a blast.  Saw a few people I had met the night before at a different party, ran into some old friends from a film I worked on two years ago, and met quite a few new people who were really awesome.  However, amidst that, I also met this one guy who simply would *not* leave me alone!  To use my mother's term to describe certain people from past films I've worked on, he was a puppy dog.  He would literally follow me around this place no matter where I went, and every time I thought I had successfully managed to relocate to a new circle, he would appear out of nowhere again!  And... he was a touchy-feely guy.  I'm sorry, but when you have only met said person 5 minute prior, you do NOT have the ability to move as you please.  You are limited to a handshake...*maybe* a hug.  Upon getting to know the person (and assuming both parties are on the same level), you may be granted a hand on the shoulder or arm, etc.  ...Then again, I suppose this all has to do with if there is a mutual attraction from the beginning or not.  But in any event, this attraction was NOT mutual, and therefore limits the person in question to a mere handshake.  
At one point while we were talking, I was looking for any way to get out of the conversation, because I felt as if I had already used every excuse in the book for reasons why I was going to go "over there" now.  So I pretended like I had gotten a text and started answering a fake text.  He, however, took that as his 'golden opportunity' to joke about getting my number.  I was going to leave it as a joke and pray we moved away from it because I really didn't want to give him my number.  But then he actually said, "but seriously - *can* I get your number?"  ...really?  Are you kidding me?  Dude, you must be the most daft guy in the history of the planet to not realize that I am *clearly* not interested.  
Then at one point while a friend of mine and I were talking, this kid magically reappears again.  My friend is a nice guy and so he began to include him in the conversation, but seriously this kid was just awkward on so many levels!  He found out that my friend was an extra in one of his favorite movies (from 1992!) and asked for his autograph!!!  (Um, hello... we live in L.A.  Most people here have at least been an extra in something.  Heck, I've even been an extra in a couple films!)  This friend of mine thought he was kidding and thus laughed as if it were a joke until he realized he wasn't joking and said "oh, you're serious..."  This was about the time my friend Russ walked up.  So when the other two were talking, I whispered to Russ "this kid will NOT leave me alone!!"  Russ said "Don't worry, I got ya covered" and successfully helped me escape from the puppy another 3-4 times throughout the night.  By the way Russ, thank you!!
So... minus that little mishap, the party was a blast!  The majority of people I've met here (in CA) are great and I finally feel like I'm living in a REAL world (as opposed to the illustrious Provo "bubble" I wished daily to escape from).  More to come in the near future.  
Oh and sorry Mom, but I already love California. :)

No comments: