Pages

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

High School Musical 3!

Well, I had a crazy awesome weekend! I wish I had pictures to show ya, but they were SUPER strict about picture-taking until about the last day, so I only have a couple and it's on someone else's camera, so I'll post the link for the pictures as soon as I get them.
So if you couldn't tell by the title, I was indeed on the High School Musical 3 crew! Only for the last four days, but still... it was AWESOME! I went on Thursday as an extra (so yes, I'm technically in the movie as well. haha) and just hung around the sound cart all day and apparently 'proved myself' enough that by the end of the day, the boom op Joe started taking me seriously and gave me a comtek and headset! (a pack to listen to the dialogue they were recording). He was asking who all in the area that I had worked with and I would tell him and he knew all of them. Then he asked if this guy Travis taught any of my classes. I told him yes, and he said "Travis is the one to make friends with. You should start hanging around MPS and talking more with him." He was surprised at my response: "Actually, I worked at MPS last summer, and the infomercial that I boomed for last summer was through Travis. He was the mixer." That really surprised Joe, and I think after that he realized that I wasn't messing around - I really wanted to do this, and was well on my way.
When we broke for 'lunch' (FYI no matter what time of day it is, it is always called lunch. So 'lunch' that day was actually around 9pm) the extras were done, and Joe invited me to come back for the rest of the show! It was awesome to see how the sound mixer (Doug) warmed up to me as time went by. When I first got there on Friday, he seemed to think "what is this girl doing here?" but after I had talked with both him quite a bit, he realized that I knew my stuff and was quite serious about getting into the business. After that, he started talking to me more and more about different things, gave me tons of tips and pointers, and by the end both he and Joe asked for my contact info for future projects! I didn't even have to ask for their information! They were so impressed that I was in it for the long haul, they knew I would do a good job if they ever needed anyone in the future. Doug said that after this show everyone would be so drained that there probably wouldn't be anything for a good two months, but come September/October, they'd probably do another one and he said he'd give me a call when he finds out the details on that one.
By the way, the reason they were so impressed that I stayed for the entire duration of the shoot each day was because Friday's call was at 4pm and we didn't get done until 7am. Saturday's was 6pm-6am, and Sunday's was 6pm-7am. So, as you can see... not exactly an ideal schedule for most people. haha.
The pictures are of me with Corbin, Zac, and Vanessa. My 15-year-old sister Rachel told me "if looks could kill, you'd be dead 10 times by now." haha. She was quite fried that I got a hug and picture from Corbin (he's her favorite). After meeting them, I'd have to say that Corbin is my favorite too. He is SO cool with the fans. He actually goes out of his way to talk to ones he knows he hasn't seen or talked to yet. One of the sound guys told me how the day his niece and nephew came to the set, they were sort of off in the distance, and really wanted to talk to Corbin but were too scared to go up to him. Corbin somehow managed to pick them out of the crowd and walked right up to them, talked to them, signed autographs, and took pictures with them. And he had no idea the kids were related to anyone on crew. He just saw two kids that he knew he hadn't seen before and went up to them. That really impressed me. Oh and Zac and Vanessa were real cool about making sure any of the crew who wanted a signed poster got one. So they signed tons and were handing them out on the last day. Kenny Ortega (the director) gave each of the crew a wristband as well, that says "HSM 3" on it. Oh and I got a sweatshirt and hat as well. AND... the second night they even put me up in a hotel in Salt Lake! It was called Little America. The cast and director stayed in Grand America next door. I can't even imagine what Grand America must look like, because Little America was probably the nicest hotel I've ever been in. haha I even took pictures of the room.
So all in all, I had quite the weekend! I made two awesome connections and they are going to let me know next time something becomes available! AND... the boom op is also a personal trainer during his spare time, and he charges $50 a session but you can have up to 5 people in the group, and it will still cost only $50. So basically, $10 a session! And he specializes in at-home training for women. So all you need is five weights, an exercise ball, and two months! He's a nutritionist as well, so he gives you proper eating habits to stick by as well. My friends and I can't wait, because one of our goals this summer was to get in shape, and now we can!
Oh yeah, and last night they had this end-of-shoot dinner at the nicest restaurant I've ever been to, and the sound mixer paid for everyone. I'm not sure I've ever been to a restaurant that had two forks, two knives, and two glasses! It was called Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in SLC. Afterwards, Karie and I went to a concert in SLC and got to talk to the artists afterwards (Eric Hutchinson and Marie Digby) and get pictures and stuff. I'm not sure I've ever met/gotten pictures with so many 'famous' people in one weekend before! haha. Eric and Marie may not be super famous yet, but I have high hopes for them! Only time will tell!
Anyway, that was the short version of my crazy long weekend! If you want to know specifics about what went on, let me know and I'd love to talk about it some more! haha.

1 comment:

B said...

Marisa!!
Oh my goodness, that is way exciting for you :)