Pages

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Come Out, Come Out, Wherever You Are

Wow, I can't even remember the last time I went this long without writing! I apologize to those of you who follow my blog regularly. I may or may not back-post a few entries depending on how I feel in the next few days. Let's see... quick updates:

-I have still been going to the gym every Monday-Friday. I started out going 2 hours every day (an hour of cardio and an hour of weights) but after 2-3 weeks of that, it went down to an hour, and now it fluctuates between 30-60 minutes every day.

-I have decided that I am in the most social ward known to man. There is - no joke - something to go to literally EVERY night of the week. Sunday after ward prayer is game night, Monday is FHE, Tuesday is movie night, Wednesday is institute, Thursday someone always happens to have a birthday party... and the Fri/Sat parties vary, but without fail, there is at least one - if not two - parties during the weekend.

-I got to be a science fair judge for 6th graders. My roommate is a 6th grade teacher and needed volunteer judges. It was actually quite fun!

-I have become a master at Rockband. A few weeks ago we had a Valentine's party here and my friend Dave brought Rockband... and left it here for over a week. Needless to say, my neighbor (Jess) and milked that for all it was worth.

-I got to sing in the YA reunion fireside on the 14th! Every 5 years there is a YA reunion and the current and past members sing together at a fireside. Seeing how that was my absolute favorite part of YAs, I was thrilled to be able to sing YA fireside music again.

-I got to work on the newest TV Disney movie they're currently filming in SLC for two days. The best part though: I got to boom on ice skates! I am definitely no pro, but I am now MUCH better than I was!

-I got to have sushi with my old-time sushi friend (Beau) after nearly a YEAR!

-I went on a double blind date. (my friend set me up and I in turn set her up and we doubled)

-My apartment's smoke alarms all (6) went off at 5AM last Wednesday for no apparent reason. Scared the crap out of me and my roommates, got our adrenaline going, and then suddenly stopped after about 10 minutes. Talk about the ultimate wake-up call!

-In the past month I have decided to quit film, go back to it, quit it again, and rethink that again. Of course, this is all just in my head - I never actually did anything drastic to affect future possible gigs (since this IS currently my source of income... when I'm lucky).

-Also in this past month, I decided that I want to go back to school and get a Masters in Linguistics. The only pre-requisite is to be roughly fluent in two languages (aside from English). So the current plan (though it is always subject to change) is to get my Spanish back, hopefully test out of a bunch of the classes, and then start taking real Russian classes instead of teaching myself. If I do go back, it won't be until Fall of 2011.

-As of yesterday, I started my "Facebook Fast." Ashamedly, I am addicted. I spend at least an hour on there every day... as sad as that is. And I was tired of wasting time, so I said goodbye to facebook. I am currently planning on a week, but I may try for longer. By the way, it's amazing how much more productive I was today without facebook to distract me!

-I also cut out gchat. The two windows I always have open are facebook and gchat. I have a ton of friends who are on gchat all day (at work), and so I usually end up spending a good deal of time on there as well. Without my two biggest vices around to distract me now, I am getting a lot done! (also part of the reason I am finally updating my blog!)

-I have gotten hard core back into songwriting. I watched Music and Lyrics for the first time the other day and realized that I could totally do that (and really wanted to a few years ago). After all, it is what I went to school for originally. My problem though was that I could never put my lyrics to good enough music. But a good friend of mine is amazing at the music side of things, so we are going to start a collaborative effort as soon as he gets back in town. I pulled out my old songwriting notebooks today (I have 4 1/2 filled) and was so dismayed to discover that with one exception, I had not written ANYTHING since mid-2006. I used to write a couple every week!

So, I am very heavily getting back into that. The last time I was really into songwriting, I was also really self-conscious and worried about 'what others would think' and all that crap that I finally threw out the window in 2008. So this time I'm really excited to see what happens, essentially starting over but with the not-so-new-anymore mindset that took me so long to find!

Anyway, that's what's up with me right now! I don't have any solid upcoming projects right now. I am really struggling trying to find a way to keep myself afloat. That's part of the reason I am getting back into the songwriting thing, because if I play my cards right, that can work to my advantage as well. Freelance is a beast, but I won't let it consume me!!!

2 comments:

Chulitamaya said...

Good thing on the Facebook thing, I have actually not been doing it that much for a while, at least the game thing. I do go on it at least three times a day just for a couple of minutes at a time, so maybe 10 minutes all together just because I like to keep in touch with my family from back home. Good luck with that. I am glad you are doing the things you like to do, if they make you happier go for it!!! Enjoy the single life while you can :)

Kim said...

I admit I don't understand your facebook addiction; I am only there once a day to see what's going on. And I've NEVER done any of the extraneous stuff on it. But I did go the entire month of February without any sweets! I considered that QUITE an accomplishment and hope it will be somewhat life-altering in that I now know I can go without.