Pages

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Hare Krishna: Festival of Colors

One of the biggest events in Utah during the month of March is the Hare Krishna Festival of Colors. At the Hare Krishna temple thousands of people gather to join in the celebration/welcoming of spring by throwing bags of color in the air (more or less, powdered chalk). In the past few years, it has become SO popular that this year is the first year that they actually split it into two separate 'sessions.' And even then, I still feel like the session that I went to was JUST as crowded as last year - if not more.

I went for the first time last year (pictured to the left), but was not nearly as prepared for it. I had a dark blue shirt on, went with only one other person, and we only had two bags to throw. I have since corrected the errors of my ways this year and wore a light-colored shirt (I still don't own any white shirts - weird, huh?), went with a group of 10-15, and we all had at least 1-2 bags each! Oh it was such a blast. I got completely COVERED in color this year!

For those of you unfamiliar with this ritual, if you want to know more, go here. If you're ever in Utah the last week in March, I HIGHLY recommend checking out the Festival of Colors!!! :)

Anyway, here are some pictures from this year!! :) (PS, sadly, I took none of these. A girl in my ward did)

1 comment:

Olivia Heilmann said...

That is FABULOUS!!!! I LOVE it!

Oh...I have a friend that is coming to BYU this August. I told her I might have a hook-up for her...ie ...YOU! ;)

Let me know if you are cool getting to know this gal. I think the 2 of you have lots in common and could possibly be great friends. :)