Pages

Monday, March 8, 2010

Exercise: You Don't Have Time Not To

I have decided that Provo is in fact the most "exercise-conscious" city in the country. It is not Los Angeles, nor is it New York. It is Provo, Utah. Never in my life have I seen so many runners outside (AND in the gym) as I have in Provo/Orem.

I was curious to the actual number I see on a typical drive, so as I was driving to the gym today I decided to count the number of runners I saw. My 4:30pm drive TO the gym consisted of 17 people. Seeing as how my drive is only about a 7-minute drive to begin with, I thought that 17 was quite a bit!

I got to the gym (the massive one in Orem) and like always, about 90% of the cardio-related machines were in use (there are easily 50 if not 75 or more machines there). Luckily, I went for Zumba, which requires no machine. Afterward, I did weights in the "Women Only" room where there were a good 10 or more women in there lifting weights as well. There was even a pregnant woman in the weight room! Also, the weight machines in the 'open area' were about 40% in use; I counted 6 people swimming laps in the pool and there were a bunch in the basketball/racquetball rooms, too.

I left the gym and began my 7-minute drive home. By this time, it was just after 6 and I was curious to see how many people I could spot running this time. To my surprise, I counted 23. ...and I thought 17 was a lot. And just like in the weight room, I even saw a pregnant woman running. Only in Provo, right?

I went to the smaller gym (in Provo) on Saturday morning and have discovered that it is apparently the place to be on a Saturday morning. I have never seen that gym so crowded! Just about every machine was in use, and the cardio machine that I usually use only had one open one left! Luckily, I claimed that one. :)

I have run into more people I know while at the gym than any other place in Provo (aside from campus when I was actually a student). Almost every time I have gone to the Provo Gold's, I bump into at least one person I know. I guess we are all 'staying fit' together. hah.

So take that L.A. and New York. I have FOUR Gold's Gyms to choose from - all less than 10 miles from my house - and SAFE sidewalks to run on if I so choose!

4 comments:

Olivia Heilmann said...

That is so nuts! Amazing. I wish I was that motivated.

Nick and Blaire said...

It is so true! It is motivating to live somewhere people care about their health. :0) I love how often you update your blog * Keep 'em coming girlie!

HollyAnn said...

Aren't pregnant women supposed to NOT run?.... hahaha Go Provo!

Zarah said...

You haven't been to Boulder, CO have you? Not only are there loads of people running and biking, there are tons of health stores around. I personally love it. I haven't seen any "Gold's Gyms" around but that may be because everyone is outside doing there thing. Oh, and there are tons of Rec Centers around.