Pages

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Moral Obligation

The Academy Awards were on tonight. Because of this, I had my computer out the whole time, with imdb open... just in case I wanted to look anything up. That somehow landed me on the main page for the disturbing film I worked a whole two days on. I think it was during that "horror montage" they had tonight, and something about it made me curious. I think I saw someone I recognized from that film. Anyway, I found myself on the imdb page and saw an interesting "trivia" thing listed, so I proceeded to click and look at the other random trivia they already had for it, seeing as it was only filmed a month and a half ago.

Most of the trivia dealt with pointless facts about the film, but then I saw the second to last 'fact.' I had to re-read it to make sure I had really read what I thought I'd just read. Yep, I really had. I had made it onto the trivia page. At first, I wasn't sure if that made me angry or happy. I mean, my name wasn't included, but I knew darn well that it was about me. But after about 5 seconds of "freak-out", I loved it. And this is why:

"It was reported on the horror websites that a crew member quit on day 2 due to "moral reasons" with what was taking place within the scenes."

Haha I love it. Yep, that's me! Yes, I was definitely 'morally opposed' to this film! It was so bad! And like I stated in earlier entries, it's not like it was an easy decision. I definitely needed the money (it would have brought me 4-5 grand). And I loved the crew! But man that subject matter... I can deal with most gore on sets because it is so fake when you're filming. I mean hey, you see the tube attached to the back of the guy's head and you see the effects guy waiting for the director to call 'action!' so he can press the button that will shoot out the fake blood. It's actually kind of cool...!

But the sex scenes were what did it for me. Day One and we're already filming those? Oh no way no how. And if I were any other part of crew, I could probably work around it because most crew members aren't actually ON set when filming stuff like that. So were I not in sound, I could totally disappear for those scenes. However, it is the exact opposite when you are the boom operator. You are in fact the ONLY crew member in the room with the actors during scenes like that... and it's days like those when booming suddenly becomes the worst job in the world.

Oh and this was another trivia: "[The set] was plagued with accidents, injuries, trips to the hospital, and a swine flu epidemic that took out almost half of the personnel on set." Sounds lovely... I think I'm glad I left when I did! May I remind you that this is the same film where I stepped on a nail and ended up at the hospital that night? Yeah, that trivia can technically include me as well, since I had to spend the better half of my evening that night being treated and x-rayed! (It took nearly 3 weeks to be able to walk fully normal again) Now it makes me curious what else happened after I left!


Anyway, in the end, that first trivia made me happy to see. Yes that was me, and I am proud OF it! Just because I work in film doesn't mean that I have to drop down to their level. If that confines me to TV Disney movies and the likes for the rest of my life, so be it. I love me some ultimate cheese. :)

2 comments:

Olivia Heilmann said...

That is so awesome. Way to stand up for yourself...people took notice! I like it!

Kim said...

How cool that they actually talked about you! I'll bet that gave more people pause for thought than you even know.