Pages

Monday, October 5, 2009

The Fuel in the Furnace

I am going to start with two quotes:
(1)
Goals are the fuel in the furnace of achievement. -Brian Tracy.
(2) The ability to convert ideas to things is the secret to outward success. -Henry Ward Beecher.

Can you guess what I'm going to write about? Goals!! Last night was awesome. Karie and I hosted our ward game night (which was a blast, by the way) and then afterward, she and I just sat and talked for a while. Amidst the chat, we came up with a brilliant idea that we are both quite excited about. Each week we are going to make a list of 5-10 goals of things that we want to achieve and/or accomplish that coming week. After we write them down, we share them with each other so we are even more accountable for those goals. Then, the following Sunday we report back to one another to see how many of our goals we achieved.

I love it! We both made a list of about 10 goals of basic to intense things. For example: one of hers was "get my oil changed" and one of mine was "get a new phone." But then another of mine was to get a group together in the ward and go sing hymns to people in nursing homes after church on Sunday. I was in a ward once that did that and admittedly, I didn't go very often that year, but I still thought it was an awesome idea. And I have been wanting to do something service-y for a while but haven't been able to find something. You wouldn't believe all the crap you have to go through to volunteer at a hospital!! I wanted to go to a children's ward and just visit with and play with the kids there, and I think it might possibly be more difficult to do that than to get a job! Sheesh! So, throughout the week we shall see how many of these goals we accomplish. I am really liking this idea, though. I think it will help me get more things done during the week - especially since I have no real schedule as of right now. I will report back next week!!

1 comment:

Olivia Heilmann said...

Sounds like a really good idea. Good luck!