Pages

Sunday, October 4, 2009

General Conference is Amazing

I don't know how it happens, but inevitably, I end up going to at least one session of conference. It's so weird, because I don't even try to get tickets - they just sort of appear out of nowhere. Last conference, Martin had some and we were dating at the time... so naturally, I went with. The time before that Jeremiah had some... and again, we were dating at the time... so I went with him. The year before that, a friend had extras so again, I went. And this conference I went with my friend Rob. He's from Australia and is visiting for the week (we met in a BYU ward 4 years ago) and randomly stopped by earlier in the week and while we were talking, said "Oh! I have an extra ticket to conference - do you want to come?!?" ...Why stop the trend now? lol. So of course, I went.

I actually had never been to the Sunday morning session before (at least, I don't think I have), so it was really cool because we saw the whole "music and the spoken word" thing too. Their final song was "Come Thou Fount" and that is one of my all time favorite hymns, so I was excited to hear that one. They started singing, and I found myself humming along... to the alto part... of this particular arrangement. Suddenly, I was incredibly confused. "How do I know the alto part to the MoTab arrangement?" I thought. The song continued for another 30 seconds and then suddenly it hit me - this was the arrangement we sang in YAs! (Young Ambassadors) This was our closing number for each and every fireside we did throughout that whole year. I must have sung that version of "Come Thou Fount" 30 times or more. No wonder I still knew it!

After the morning session, Rob and I walked a few blocks to a church building where there was some sort of Vietnamese reunion (he is Vietnamese-Australian and served his mission Vietnamese-speaking) where they had a ton of food. It was all Vietnamese, but I love trying new foods, so I took a little bit of everything. Most of it was pretty good, and the few things that I didn't like, Rob did - so he ate it for me. haha. After lunch, I drove home and listened to the first half of the 2nd session on the radio (because I'm in Utah again and can do that now) and the rest I watched when I got home. Elder Holland's talk was quite possibly one of the most powerful talks I have ever heard, and so I am going to include the video for it in case you missed it. Because he is pretty much amazing.