Pages

Monday, October 12, 2009

Life is Either a Great Adventure, or Nothing

Wow, talk about eventful! ...yet, thoroughly exciting! So my FHE group went to a corn maze tonight and took 3 different cars to carpool up there. I rode up and back with this one guy in our ward, Rob (same one from the dinner last night), and 3 other girls. On our way back home, we passed by this 'entrance' to off-roading up the mountain and he said "who wants to go off-roading!?" I wasn't sure if he was serious or not, so I replied in a way that could be taken either joking or serious but implying that I actually thought that it sounded like fun. Of course, none of the other 3 girls were up for it at all, so we drove another 2 streets back to Deer Haven (our neighborhood). But then I found out that Rob really was quite serious about it, so shoot, of course I went!

We started on one road and he saw a pathway that he hadn't taken before and said "ooh let's take this one!" We were going pretty fast - as far as off-roading goes - and then all of a sudden this MASSIVE rock (more like boulder) came into sight --> but not in time. We smashed SO hard into that thing! We stopped (obviously) and both gave each other this "oh crap" sort of look and I immediately opened my door to see what kind of damage we were looking at (we hit the passenger's side). I figured that he was going to have this massive dent in the side of his car, but to my surprise… nothing! I was really confused as to how that was possible, and then I heard this hissing sound. We had a flat. The tire took most of the fall.

Pretend this is the path, and the rock on the right is what we slammed into (though it was more on the path than this).


So since we were not on ANY sort of steady or flat ground, he said “alright let’s go as quickly as we can with what air we have left and try to get to some flat ground.” So we turned around and started going the way we came, but we turned the wrong way at the fork and had to back up a bit to get on the right road... and in the process, the car suddenly began to tip to the right. It seriously felt like the car was balancing on something and that was about the point when he said "Lean left!!!" So we both leaned as far left as possible while he put it into the right gear for this maneuver and then said "Let's hope this works...!" Luckily, whatever he did worked and we managed to get to the other road without tipping over. Although, it would have been quite the experience to actually be IN a car as it tipped over...! :)

This, however, was by no means the end. We got the car to semi flat ground and knew that the tire was completely shot and that the spot we were at would have to be good enough. We got out, grabbed the tools, and he started jacking up the car. But in the process he remembered that the back of his four runner (I think that's what kind it is) was jammed and nearly impossible to open (the only way to access the spare is with that open). But apparently WD-40 usually did the trick... So we called up Stan (his roommate) who managed to successfully find the neighborhood right below us. However, we still had to climb halfway down the mountain in order to get to civilization. haha. But Stan found us and we went to the gas station down the street and got some WD-40. Then he took us back to that neighborhood and from there, we climbed back up to where the car was.

Unfortunately, the WD-40 wasn't working. No matter what we tried, that thing wouldn't budge. Then, we saw lights ahead and a car came all the way up to us and stopped. Turns out, it was a Utah County Sheriff car. He asked if we needed help and between him and Rob, they were finally able to get the darn thing open. Shortly thereafter, the flat was off, the spare was on, and we were good to go.

Am I weird that I found this whole excursion incredibly fun and exciting? First of all: off-roading. I don't know why, but I actually think it's really fun - and I never get to go! So I was excited about that already. Then, smashing into something that hard with no visible damage to the car was pretty exciting (and somewhat miraculous) as well. And having to climb down a mountain and back up it again (in the dark, with very slippery shoes)... well, I'm always looking for adventure and that sure was adventurous! It was just really fun!! It made me wish I had a beast of a car to do crazy stuff with. But then again, maybe it's a good thing that I don't have a car capable of that... :P

Post title: quote by Helen Keller

2 comments:

Zarah said...

That's awesome! Off-roading does sound like fun. I kinda want to go now although I'm sure it wouldn't nearly be as adventurous as your experience was. So cool!

Olivia Heilmann said...

That sounds scary and thrilling all at the same time. Glad you had fun!