Pages

Friday, October 2, 2009

You let it DIE!

I went to the football game tonight - and it rocked. I hadn't been to a game in so long! Well, I hadn't been to a football game that I wasn't *working* at in a very long time. It was nice to watch a game as a fan again. Afterwards, I was supposed to meet up with Karie and her friend Chad at this YSA dance, but instead I ended up in limbo for the next few hours. My phone is in very, very sad shape. It only lasts for about an hour or two after I take it off of the charge. If I sent 4 or 5 texts, it's done for. If I make more than one phone call, it turns off. Today was the worst, and it is now not just something I want, but an absolute necessity to get a new phone!

Let's rewind for a minute. I bought the ticket from a friend of a friend and when I got it, I saw that it said "STUDENT" in big, bold letters. Well... I am not a student anymore and thus this was going to present problems as to how I was going to get in with a student ticket and no valid student ID. One might think "why not just use your student ID from last year?" Trust me, I would have... except the first semester I was out of school, BYU decided to change the format of the IDs (see picture), so mine doesn't look a thing like current IDs! Blast. So I called up my friend Alyssa (Johnson) and said "I have a random question for you - can I borrow your ID tonight?" She laughed, but agreed. So I drove to her place, and she was nice enough to just drop me off at the stadium so I wouldn't have to worry about parking. In return, she got to use my car for the duration of the game! (she doesn't have a car)

The plan was that I would call her when the game was done and she could come get me and all would be well. However, my phone decided to die about 5 minutes before the game ended. Perfect. I had to play the "on/off" game with my phone 4 times before I was able to successfully retrieve her number from my phone before it died. I then used my friend Matt's phone to give her a call. Since Matt was driving back to Sparks/Arcadia, I just got a ride home with him. So I was calling to tell her that she didn't need to come get me and that I'd be there momentarily.

However, she had tried to send me a text telling me that she was at Wyview (really close to the stadium) and that I should just go there. Drat. So I went back to Sparks, and she was still at Wyview doing laundry. Sooo... I just sort of meandered throughout Sparks saying hi to old friends. I stopped by Apt 10 for a little while, but it was Ian, his friend, and Jason... and about 7 giggly sophomore girls who are way too girly for me. So I meandered some more and ran into Jake and some of his friends in the clubhouse and ended up playing ping pong and whatnot until about 11:30 when I decided to go see if Alyssa was back. I went to her place and hurray! She was back.

But since I didn't get my car back until 11:30, the dance was most definitely out. It's kind of sad how much we rely on our phones these days. I mean, it wasn't that long ago that cell phones didn't even exist! What did we do back then? Set up a time and place for us to meet and hope it worked out? What if there was a misunderstanding? Tough! So yeah, I felt very strange not being able to call or access any of my friend's numbers tonight. Definitely time for a new phone!!

post title: part of a line from How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

1 comment:

Olivia Heilmann said...

I was without a phone for so long...now I have one and still don't know what to do with it. ;)