Pages

Saturday, January 16, 2010

One, Two, Buckle My Shoe

Today... was awesome. On all accounts. It had three parts to it, and all three parts rocked.
It started with meeting up with a bunch of old friends from freshman year. Dave's birthday is tomorrow and a bunch of us went out to eat to celebrate, and then to a friend's house afterward to play games. For those of you who know the crew, we had Dave, Eric, Allan, Tim, Kevin and his wife, and Dan and his wife. Most everyone had to leave before we played games though, so Dave, Eric, Allan, and I went back to Eric and Allen's to play games. But it's always fun to get a group like that together and reminisce. The best part though, was that any story that we remembered about Tim, he couldn't remember. Even after we tried to jog his memory, he still had absolutely no recollection of said event ever actually happening. We all got quite a kick out of it.

We played the Italian game "Bang" at Eric's and I was 1st to 'die', so since I still had a talk to write, I decided I ought to leave. (It was 5, and I had plans at 7:30 and still had to get ready, too). But for some unexplainable reason, I decided to call my friend Josh before I left Alta (where Eric lives). I hadn't seen him since before his mission and knew that once upon a time he lived in Alta, so I thought "Why not? I'll check and see." As it turns out, he DOES live in Alta again! All those plans of actually writing my talk at a decent hour immediately went out the window. We had far too much to catch up on.

A quick background for those who don't know who Josh is (since I've only started blogging in the last year or two)... Josh and I met freshman year and became really good friends. He wasn't a member at the time, but a few years later he ended up joining, and a year after that, he decided to serve a mission! (And a random side note - his mission president happened to be my old stake president from when I lived in Florida! Weird!) Anyway, he was one of my best guy friends and I would talk with him about everything.

But then he left on his mission and I hadn't seen him since! So it was an awesome little mini-reunion. We barely skimmed the surface of the last 3 years of each others' lives, and definitely need more catching up. But it was just SO good to see him again! Have you ever had a friend who no matter what just automatically puts you in a good mood? I can't not be in a great mood whenever he and I talk. I am so happy to have such a great friend back!

I left there around 7, got home, and had barely any time to get ready for the dance thing tonight. Oh, this dance is apparently every week at the Murray Arts Center and it's a dance full of classic dancing! (ie ballroom) Oh my gosh it was awesome. It kind of depressed me at the same time because I was never made so aware as to how much ballroom dancing I have forgotten over the years; but aside from that, it was awesome. Every song that came on was truly danceable and EVERY song was partner-dancing! I danced triple step swing, two step swing, west coast swing, fox trot, cha-cha, samba, salsa, and waltz. It... rocked. And the best ones were when I got asked by someone who really knew what he was doing and I could follow. All I really need is just a refresher course and then I'd be good to go, and that's how it was with those dances.

This one guy asked me to dance on one of the waltzes and I later found out that he was or is on one of the BYU ballroom teams, so he definitely knew what he was doing... and each new move we did, I kept thinking, "Oh yeah!" or "I remember this one now!" or "I can even remember what comes next!" It made me happy. I will have to go to those more often, because THAT is real dancing. THAT is how dances should still be. If dances were still like that, I would probably be a dance junkie, because I absolutely love ballroom style dancing!

1 comment:

Olivia Heilmann said...

I love to dance, too. It is one of my favorite things. Tim and I actually met at a dance!