Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Zumba, Pilates, and Weights, Oh My!

So a year and a half ago, I did this workout program. I learned how to exercise properly as well as how to eat healthier. I was really good at it for 3 or 4 months, but it kind of died down after that. I still stuck with the healthy eating portion of it for the most part, but the exercise/weight training part sort of went down the drain. I would do it here and there if I remembered, but it never was a permanent or set thing.

Well in October, I decided that I wanted to get back on track, so I finally caved and bought another gym membership. My plan was to go at least 3 times a week to start with. But then I got a film, and that plan quickly died. Films are so exhausting that it's hard to make yourself go to the gym after a long day/night - especially if you're not already used to going every day. And then I was home most of December so that sort of impeded my plan once again. And the very night I got back to Utah, I got a call for work in L.A. and off I went.

But NOW... I am back in Utah, and hopefully will be for quite some time (please, no more suitcase-living!). My roommate, Karie, finally got me to go to a Zumba class with her. It was the first "class" at the gym that I had ever been to. I don't know why, but I had always been a bit leery of the classes and had never gotten around to trying them out. As it turns out, I loved it! Granted, I felt absolutely retarded trying to figure everything out, I still had a blast and an awesome workout. (Zumba is kind of like Latin dancing + aerobics).

So I started going with Karie to more of those classes. Yesterday, I decided to branch out and try a new class: Pilates. Oh man, it kicked my butt! Luckily, I was fully prepared for that. I had heard from others how intense a Pilates class can be, so I was ready to be whooped. It fully succeeded in major butt-kicking, but it was awesome. I felt like I got a really good workout with muscles I didn't even know existed! lol. After the class was over, I did my upper body workout, and then got on one of the bikes for about 15 minutes to fully destroy myself. haha. I am definitely feeling it today!

I am trying to use as much of my "free time" as productive time, and while that isn't *always* going so well, the gym part is rocking. I went 3 or 4 times last week for an hour or more each day. I went on Monday for an hour, yesterday for two hours, and I am about to head there again for another Zumba class and then either weights or some more cardio afterward. I have FINALLY gotten into some sort of gym schedule and it is awesome! I highly recommend it. :D

1 comment:

Olivia Heilmann said...

I LOVE Zumba! I have the original versions on DVD. I bought them way back in the day off of an infomercial! LOVE IT