Pages

Friday, August 21, 2009

Crash Into Me

I love the beach. I forgot how much I loved it until I moved out here. Once upon a time, my family had a time share in Florida and we would go one week each year to Cocoa Beach. I remember those times very well, and have lots of fond memories of our trips there. My favorite was when my mom and I were walking along the beach at night, searching for sea shells. Mom would point and say "ooh there's a good one!" and then being the eager little 6-year-old that I was, I would happily run and retrieve the shell. However, one instance, I ran towards the shell she told me to go and collect and it promptly began running away! It turned out to be a crab. She thought it was hilarious. 6-year-old me...not so much. But it is still a funny memory nonetheless.

Anyway, Mike and I went to the beach today (4th time in one week!) and got all the way in the water. The original plan was to do some body surfing. However, these waves are much stronger (and colder!) than I ever remember any waves at Cocoa Beach! I'm pretty sure one of the waves almost swallowed me whole! There was a big one coming, so Mike told me to hold my breath and dive under the wave. It worked the first time, but the second time... not exactly! I guess I didn't dive deep enough and that wave totally owned me! I wasn't overly panicked or anything, but it still was kind of unnerving when I was running out of breath and couldn't make it to the top! But I am happy to report: I survived. :P

And by the way... I'll have you know that when I lived in Florida, I was relatively tan. I was out in the sun all day! (swim team). But almost the instant I moved to Virginia... yeah that definitely disappeared. And I have come to discover that if you are already tan, more sun will just tan you more (such was the case in Florida). But if you are white as white can be (what I am now), you burn, and you burn bad! Luckily, this time it was just my back that burned - I ran out of sunscreen... who actually runs out of sunscreen??
Anyway, the beach is awesome and I love it. :D

PS, these pictures are of Point Dume - the beach we went to.

Post title: song title from Dave Matthews Band.

No comments: