Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Follow the Yellow Brick Road

Okay... for those of you who knew me last year, you knew how much I hated, nay, abhorred Provo. I talked all the time about how I couldn't wait to get out of there, and practically counted down the days to when I could finally escape from wretched Provo. Then, the day finally came: I got to leave! I was no longer bound by Provo, its rules, or the 'bubble'! I left in a hurry without looking back and vowed I would never again live in Provo. Even if I came back for work for a month here and there, I'd find a place in SLC. Provo was DONE. Fini. Finito.

I moved to L.A. with no hesitation and have loved it out here! I went to the beach 5 times in the span of 8 days last week! I went again today! I learned to surf, saw the sights, hiked the Hollywood sign, went to the YSA conference, worked on film shorts, promos, web series. I went to parties, networked, schmoozed. I made a ton of friends in the 2 main LA wards (LA1st and SM3) as well as my own ward (Westlake 2nd). And... I fell in love with California. Well, most things about it. (other than 10% sales tax, $3.20 gas, cost of living, etc)

So how on earth am I actually excited to go back to the place I once so deeply loathed? I have no idea! But it's true - I'm excited. I have missed all of my friends! Sure, I have made a ton of new ones here, but there are some people in Provo with whom I have been good friends since high school and miss seeing around all the time! And I have most definitely missed weekly swing dancing! I am so stoked for that. Oh how I've missed it. :P I'm going to get to Provo probably around 5pm tomorrow, and then promptly go swing dancing that night. YES! And Dave is going too, so he can teach me HOW to teach others instead of just being a marionette when he teaches! It was so frustrating at the YSA conference when I was trying to teach those guys how to dance and I couldn't remember the moves!!

Well, I guess I'm making the right choice in moving back if I am actually excited to move back. I honestly think that the biggest problem I had with Provo before was BYU housing and how anal everyone is about it. The whole "midnight curfew" thing drove me nuts. And it especially drove me nuts when a by-the-book roommate would come downstairs to kick all the guys out at 11:59 - when there was only 10 minutes left of the movie! Or vice versa, but you get the idea. But guess what! I'm not living in BYU housing so ha! I can do whatever the heck I want! :P

I have a feeling that Provo will be much more fun this time around... :)

2 comments:

Olivia Heilmann said...

I also hold that deep loathing for Provo. It sounds like you are going to have a GREAT time!!

Tara said...

I'm so jealous! I hope I get to come back too!!!