Pages

Friday, August 7, 2009

Spontaneous...Conversation

So... apparently I am good at quickly making friends! Today was the 'kickoff' to this huge California YSA conference that they have been plugging hard core since before I moved here. We had this humongous BBQ/movie thing in the park behind the LA1st ward building and everyone in the entire L.A. Temple 'district' was invited. Needless to say, there were a LOT of people there! But, since I was already in L.A. for various reasons, I didn't carpool with anyone but instead just drove myself. Because of this, I knew that if I wanted anyone to talk with, I would have to just start talking with random people. So, that's exactly what I did.
I found a group standing around talking, so I just went up to them and started talking with them. Soon after, they started the food lines and after I got food, I looked around at everyone sitting on the grass until I spotted a group that I thought "hey, they look like fun" and went and sat next to them. Shortly thereafter, I discovered that these two guys (both named Matt) whom I was talking with are both huge fans of the show "Psych." I wasn't that into it until a few months ago but now I love it, and tonight just so happened to be the premiere for the new season. Long story short, I found out that they were having a Psych premiere party after the BBQ portion and they invited me to come watch it. Sweet! Throughout the night I met a bunch of random - but fun - people and had a blast just going up to a group of people I don't know and start talking with them. haha. I suppose that's why I'm relatively good at networking - I have no qualms about going up to strangers and striking up a conversation with them. I find myself in conversations with random people in lines all the time! I guess I'm just good at the spontaneous conversation!

No comments: