Pages

Monday, August 3, 2009

We Salute You

I just finished talking with a friend from high school who is now happily married and has a baby girl.  The catch?  Her husband is a Marine and currently deployed.  He has never even met his daughter.  And this is not my only friend in this situation.  An old friend's older brother didn't get to meet his own child until she was 8 months old.  I have friends in literally every branch of military.  Some are currently deployed, some are still in school, and others are somewhere in between.
One thing that bothers me to no end is the negativity of the media.  The only thing that seems to matter to them is the body count.  But what about the ones there right now, fighting to preserve OUR freedom?  What about all the good that they're doing?  And the reason they're there!  Why do we never hear about that?  We only hear when things get worse.  And for that, I hate the media.
Two years ago, a good friend of mine joined the Marines.  I grew to appreciate all branches of military much more because of this.  I found this website called Soldier's Angels where you can "adopt a soldier" and/or become part of the "LWT" (Letter Writing Team) for those currently deployed.  Not everyone has loved ones over here waiting and praying for them.  This program was designed to help give hope and encouragement to those who may not get it from their own family.  That whole summer (2007) I wrote 2-3 letters a week to different soldiers whom I had never met (and probably never will).  I let them know that though it may not seem like it, everyone back home appreciates what they are doing and to keep up the good work, etc.  If you have any extra time on your hands, I highly recommend becoming a part of this program.  It is great.
To all of you Marines and those in the Navy, Army, and Air Force; whether deployed or in the states, I salute you.  Your service and your work IS appreciated and we are all grateful for your decision to serve this beautiful country.  It is because of you that this country has been able to withstand all that has been brought before it.  Please, keep doing what you are doing, because you do make a difference... all of you.  God bless you, and God bless America.

1 comment:

Olivia Heilmann said...

Thank you for sharing that!!! Check out my latest blog post. 8-16-09. Life changing!!