Pages

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Summertime, and the Livin' is Easy

Okay where do I begin. Today was the start of the big California YSA conference and it has rocked thus far. It's funny to think that I wasn't even going to come until 3 days ago when I finally signed up. Remember how back in November I had that whole "new outlook on life" thing? I was doing fabulously at maintaining that outlook until a few months ago. I have since discovered that in dating someone, I became less social, and once I emerged on the single front again, my 'new outloook' had to somewhat be re-learned.

I, however, am proud to say that I have successfully regained that outlook and totally rocked it today. Each activity or 'workshop' I sat next to someone different. I ventured to various tables during lunch. I randomly started teaching people how to swing dance. I learned to salsa and tango with someone I met this afternoon.
I played badminton with complete strangers. I learned how to play bocce ball and how to sew a quilt. I scared my group by using my knife as scissors to cut the yarn. (hehe) I even participated in the pathetic form of 'speed dating' they had planned... although, I thought it was ridiculous and left after about 10 minutes. Oops! :P And I got a ride home with someone I met earlier that day! haha. But, this is the Mormon world we are talking about and it is a bit safer - especially when you are in the same ward and have a great deal of mutual friends already.

Yes, the 'social butterfly' has returned. During one of the workshops I sat in between these two guys named Rick and Russell. Rick and I are in the same ward and have been friends for about a month. Russell I met last night at the BBQ kickoff thing. By seeing my interactions with Rick, he thought that the two of us had known each other a really long time. He was quite surprised to discover that I'd only known Rick for about a month. He then said to me, "wow, you make friends really fast." But then later on, I was swing dancing with this guy named Paul and he asked me if Russell and I were dating! haha! I have absolutely no idea why he thought that, but I thought it was hilarious.

I ended up teaching 4 guys to swing dance by the end of the night. First was Paul, whom I technically met at Paulina's going away party (the one in Beverly Hills my second or third week here). He was a little slow to catch on, and eventually he gave up. Next was Russell and he had spaghetti arms and nearly dropped me a time or two. Then was my friend Russ (we were in the same ward in the Colony years ago) and we just had fun dancing to one of the few swing songs they actually played. Last was this guy Mike (the one who gave me a ride home). He actually was really good at picking up on the moves I was teaching him! I gained a bit more confidence in him than in the others, so I even successfully taught him a few lifts too! We did the can opener and he didn't drop me! haha. I discovered that I need Dave to help me remember most of the lifts that I know. I'm fabulous at following, but when it comes to teaching... let's just say that Dave was usually the one doing the teaching. :P

But yes, the conference rocked. I finally feel like I have returned. The old 'new me' is back!!!

1 comment:

Olivia Heilmann said...

My friend here in Florida attended those conferences. They sound awesome.

...welcome back!