Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Busy Have No Time For Tears

Ladies and gentleman, boys and girls... I have my first double booking!  That's right - a month and a half into the L.A. move and I've already got two [PAID] gigs on the same day.  One is the webisode series that I've been working on for the past week that I just found out yesterday goes all next week too (another 5 days of paid work!) ... the other is a one-day gig for the 30th of July and only pays half what I'm making on the webisode day-rate. However...I'm going to take the lesser paying one.  It might sound odd to do that, but it's all about the networking.  I've been working with this same crew for 5 days now, and will work with them another 5 next week.  You quite frequently need only a day or two before you've made some solid connections.  Plus, the one-day gig is a SAG film and I've actually heard of the lead!  He played Chandra Suresh in the first season of Heroes.  It would be good to make more connections with a new crew and give away a day on the webisode.
This also will be another mile marker because it's one of those way-too-low-budget things where I'm pretty sure I will be mixing and booming simultaneously (never done that before).  I mixed quite a few low-no budget things in Utah before I left, but I haven't mixed anything since I've been out here-->here, you need your own equipment (which I do not yet have) in order to get hired to mix for a gig.  As much as I wish I had the basic equipment, I'd need a minimum of about $4,000 in order to get all that I needed.  Yeah, definitely don't have that yet!  
So, I will most likely hear back from the lower-budget project in the next day to know for sure (1) the details and (2) if they still need me.  If it is set in stone, then I'll give away my day on the other one.  I even have a fellow newbie friend (met him on my first gig here) to whom I can pass on the one webisode day!  Hurray for networking!
In other news, we had another location change today.  We filmed at Raleigh Studios all day.  Apparently it's where they filmed Ugly Betty until the show moved to New York.  From what I could tell, it looked like a pretty cool lot.  If anything cool happens tomorrow, I'll be sure to let you know.
**PS: Comments are not only welcome, but are highly encouraged! :)  It makes the blog a million times more exciting to write in when I have comments to read the next day!
(For more pictures of sets I've worked on, go here.)
Post title: Lord Byron, British poet

2 comments:

Steven said...

Taken out of context, the phrase "I'm pretty sure I will be mixing and booming simultaneously" is pretty hilarious.

In related news, whenever I hear about (film) booming, I always start singing Boom Operator to the tune of Smooth Operator.

I'm glad you're finding paying gigs, keep up the good work!

Olivia Heilmann said...

Very cool Marisa. I am really proud of you for following your dreams. I have 22 more post to read....here we go!