Pages

Monday, July 13, 2009

Insta-Sauna

Day 1 of paid work: complete.  It's nice to work and know you're actually getting paid for it! haha.  I realized today that of all the stuff I've worked on, I still hadn't worked with a cast full of comedians.  I guess you could say that SW2 had a few, but it wasn't like this.  The thing we're filming is called "Haunted Hotel" or something, and it's a mini promo thing for a film they shot last summer called Mystery Team (I think that's what it's called).  They are apparently a very popular YouTube comedy group called Derrick Comedy who has done tons of youtube stuff.  However, if you so choose to check out their stuff, don't say I didn't warn you that much of their stuff is rather ... risque to say the least.  The promo I'm working on is the "I really shouldn't be laughing at this and I feel bad that I am" sort of stuff.  It's not exactly something I'd go out in search of, but I watched the preview for their film and while it's not something *I* would watch, I have a feeling that once it's released in theaters, it will be a big hit.
Anyway, so the sound mixer I'm working with is great.  His name is Juan and he reminds me of a Hispanic Joe Pesci for some reason.  And he doesn't even look *that* Hispanic, but he's about the same height and build as Joe Pesci and almost even sort of sounds like him at times.  But I'm enjoying working with him.  He's a really laid back guy who doesn't seem to easily get stressed.  
I have also decided that I have now officially worked in both temperature extremes.  The coldest being in Feb/March when I worked on Frozen up on a mountain in the middle of winter while it snowed 2 feet on us... and the hottest being today, inside a tiny motel room, with 25 people crammed inside, all doors closed, no AC or fans (too loud to have on while rolling), 95 degree weather outside, and 3-4 lights so hot it could probably start a fire if you put anything on the bulb.  Congratulations, you've just created your own personalized sauna!  Joy.  I was not planning on that situation, so like an idiot, I wore jeans (as did most everyone else).  We have since learned our lesson, and I imagine most people will come in shorts tomorrow.  
It was pretty gross though, because after a while, some people looked like they'd jumped into a pool fully clothed, or at least run through the sprinklers a few times.  Each time we were doing a different shot and had to temporarily clear out of the room, as we walked outside everyone breathed a sigh of relief, quite frequently added with the words "air!!" ...it was sad that we thought 94 degree weather was "so nice."  But hey, ya gotta do what ya gotta do, right?  
Well, there's Day 1 for ya.  Next up: Day 2.

No comments: