Pages

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Then A Hero Comes Along

I have officially been on the set of "Heroes", seen all the locations, and even helped mic a few of the actors.  I saw the infamous loft in New York City, Arthur Petrelli's office where he was killed, Mohinder and Matt's apartment, the abandoned Coyote place where Angela Petrelli's family was killed, and some room that I didn't recognize.  Ironically enough, none of those locations I just mentioned were used the day I was there.  We were filming in some building that had a safe.  I have no idea where it was supposed to be... D.C. maybe?  There was a big fight scene with Peter and a new character that took half the day.  But it was awesome because instead of watching the "behind-the-scenes" stuff on a DVD, I was there to witness it myself! (This was the first time I'd been on set where actual fight scenes and stunts occurred)  They had this guy attached to a wire and pulled him back at full speed... at which point, he went flying (back first) into a wall.  It was awesome.  The guy hit so hard that when he stood up, he was practically rocking back and forth.  Oh, and apparently this guy played Darth Maul on the Star Wars Episode I movie.  And I don't watch The Office, but one of the cast members from that is dating a guy who was on set that day, so she was there as well. 
The other half of the day we were filming at a carnival that was supposed to be in Japan.  
By the time we wrapped, it was about 2:30am.  Now, normally 2:30am isn't so bad for me... but before I went to the Heroes lot that day, I had been working on another no-pay film short in Culver City that started at 5am.  So by the time I made it home and to bed, I had been up for almost 24 hours straight.  Let's just say, it was pretty easy to fall asleep!!
Also, the sound mixer for Heroes was absolutely awesome.  He was so incredibly helpful with telling me how to jump through all the hoops and become part of the sound union (695) here...and hopefully I will be able to find 100 days of paid work so I can join the union.  Yeah... unions.  I hate unions.  But, it's a necessary evil here.  And the whole thing I have discovered is like a Catch 22.  You can't join the union until you have 100 thoroughly documented days of PAID work, and you can't get most 'paid' work until you have joined the union.  Luckily, Utah has no union and I've made a pretty good network there, so I just may end up working on a few more films in Utah in the next year or two.  Boo for Utah, but yay for paid days of work (I haven't gotten a real paycheck since the last week of April!  I need paid work!!!).
Well, that's it for now.  I have no other upcoming gigs as of it, but hopefully something will surface soon!

No comments: