Pages

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Let Freedom Ring

Well, of course, I have to write about the 4th of July.  I have been thinking about it a lot this year - more so than in years past.  I have always been proud to be American, but I think in times past, I have taken for granted the fact that I was blessed to be born and raised in this country.  
Though I would absolutely love it, I am not much of a world traveler, and thus not been in many situations where I have had to "defend" my country very often.  However, for various reasons, I felt like I was constantly having to defend it the earlier this year.  They started out 'in good fun,' but the more jokes on America I heard, the angrier I got.  One night, I got so fed up with hearing joke after joke about America that I promptly went home and listened to the Lee Greenwood song "God Bless The U.S.A." about 5 times in a row.  That song never meant more to me than it did that night.  
But in having to actually defend my country, I gained more pride in my country and my roots than ever before.  Sure, this country hasn't been around (or, established) for thousands of years, but it still has history.  We have traditions and folk tales, historic sites and battle grounds, and so on.  This country was founded by God-fearing people who wanted a better life for their posterity and wanted to ensure that certain "unalienable rights" could never be taken away from anyone.  What better grounds for a country to be established upon? 
 
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

That is directly from the Declaration of Independence.  

And for the support of this declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor.

These men who signed the Declaration were of the first to give their lives for our freedom.  That has carried on through today, with so many citizens of this country currently at war to protect and preserve this free country.  Have you ever noticed how frequently the phrase "it's a free country" is used here?  Have you ever been in a different country?  Do they freely say that?  Those of us who are blessed to live in this great country, do we really realize how lucky we are?  Last summer, I took my first trip out of the U.S. and went to Australia.  I was in the car with an Australian family as well as another girl from the U.S.  The mother asked a question to my friend that she didn't particularly want to answer and so she said "I plead the 5th."  I don't think the Australian woman quite picked up on it, as she had a very confused look on her face after that.  We have a Bill of Rights too, that gives us the "right to remain silent" or, Plead the 5th.  
One of the biggest and greatest blessings is our freedom to worship however we so choose!
  
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;"

And this isn't the 6th or 12th or 27th amendment - it is the first.  And not only is it part of the 1st Amendment, but excerpt is the very first sentence!  There was no greater importance to our Founders than to be able to be a part of whatever religion they so chose.  Not every where in the world has that freedom (ie China, for example).  Without that "bill of right", the gospel would not have been able to be restored, and life as I know it would cease to exist.  I love my religion with all my heart, and thank God for our Founding Fathers who fought for all that they did, but especially for freedom of religion.

I AM proud to be an American and I love my country dearly. I know it has its problems and difficulties, but in the end, there is no other country I would rather live in.  I have faith in this country and can never forget what it has given me.  I have written plenty to suffice for now, but I want to leave you with the lyrics (and video) to "God Bless the U.S.A.", as there is no other song more fitting to listen to on the 4th of July.



If tomorrow all the things were gone I’d worked for all my life, 
And I had to start again with just my children and my wife. 
I’d thank my lucky stars to be living here today, 
‘Cause the flag still stands for freedom and they can’t take that away.  

And I’m proud to be an American where as least I know I’m free. 
And I won’t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me. 
And I’d gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today. 
‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land God bless the U.S.A.  

From the lakes of Minnesota, to the hills of Tennessee, 
across the plains of Texas, from sea to shining sea,  
From Detroit down to Houston and New York to LA, 
Well, there’s pride in every American heart, 
and it’s time to stand and say:  

I’m proud to be an American where at least I know I’m free. 
And I won’t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me. 
And I’d gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today. 
‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land God bless the U.S.A!

No comments: