Pages

Monday, July 20, 2009

Commit To Be Fit

I have decided that I need to have easy access to a treadmill.  This may sound random, but not really.  For those of you who don't know, last summer the boom operator on HSM3 also happened to be a personal trainer... who happened to specialize in at-home programs for women.  It was $50 a session, but you could have up to 5 women in the same group and thus it would only be $10 per person per session.  I could only find 2 other girls, but he was incredibly nice and let us do it for $30 a session instead.  Anyway, so we did that with him for 2 months straight, and it was awesome.  He would come to our apartment and train us 3 times a week, and the 3 off-days we were to do cardio together.  When he came, we rotated between upper and lower body and learned all of the best exercises to target specific muscle areas.  We also had to keep a food diary of what we ate and he helped us learn how to eat properly, how often to eat, and how much of each thing to eat - or not eat.  I learned the right amount of protein vs carbs per meal, and that I needed to be eating every 2-3 hours.  For those 2 months I kept with it fabulously.


This was me in the process of getting ready for our ward formal last year and having fun with roommates and cameras at the same time.  

Once the girls and I didn't see each other every day though, I kind of went through phases.  I would be really good for a week, and then forget the next.  Then I'd get to a point again in a week or two where I started up again, but it would die down.  I never failed on the nutrition part though, and I still eat 5-6 meals a day, trying to get as balanced of proportions as possible.  My co-workers at my crap job last semester would laugh because I brought boiled eggs and apples as snacks throughout the day.  I've done a good job of keeping up with eating right.  The weight-training...?  Well, I get lots of upper-body work booming every day!  But lower body needs a serious revamping.  And I'm currently in one of the down-sides of cardio... meaning, I haven't done it in a while.
But I realized that if I had easy access to a treadmill, as much as I hate running I think I'd actually do it every day.  I have this nifty little ipod now that plays videos, so I could just run for 15, 30, 45 minutes a day and watch half a movie in the process.  It makes it go by a lot faster that way.  A lot of apartment complexes here seem to have gyms within them, so now I'm really hoping I find one of those ones for a decent price.  I've tried gym memberships, workout videos, etc... but gym memberships are expensive, workout videos are a set amount of time and I never feel like I get a super good workout from them anyway.  Basically, I just have to get used to running because it's the fastest and easiest way for daily cardio.  And I've hit the point where I just feel gross now - that's usually what starts me back up for a few weeks in doing daily cardio.
Plus, everyone here is so freaking health-conscious that I can't help but think about it pretty much every day.  
So I've decided to start another uphill spurt and get back with cardio once again.  I'll let you know how I fare!

No comments: