Pages

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Coincidence...? I Think Not!

So, I don't normally write two in one day, but I forgot a few tidbits that I thought I'd share.  This, by the way, is also living proof that whether or not I want to do film (which I do), I am very much supposed to do it too!
-Wednesday: An old friend of mine called me up, said "Hey!  So I have this friend who's putting together a film and he's still looking for sound people.  Now that you're finally in L.A. and you're the only person I know who does sound, do you mind if I give him your contact info?"
-Thursday: I got this call from a guy who said he got my contact info from Scott, the sound mixer I met on Heroes (whom I met via a contact in SLC, and a woman (L.A.-based) I met at Sundance this year), who said he recommended me.  He was looking for a boom op.  $100 a day. (not much, but it's money!)  I start tomorrow.  
-Saturday morning: I was on facebook just routinely checking whatever when an old friend of mine from BYU IMed me.  He'd recently discovered I'd moved to L.A. (as had he).  He said "Hey there's this guy in my ward who does sound for CSI and he wanted me to help him out, but I can't.  Do you mind if I give him your contact info?"
-Saturday afternoon: I decided to do the Hollywood hike with people from the ward.  I carpooled up with a few people and one of the guys in the car asked what type of stuff I did/what work I was looking for.  I told him I did sound and he said "oh really?  My buddy does sound for CSI - he told me to call him up if I ever wanted to go, or to bring anyone on set.  Give me your number and I'll give you a call this week after I've talked to him about when would be best."
-Saturday evening: One of Sarah's friends was over and we got talking, and she found out that I do location sound.  She said "oh really?  My dad's a director for this show - I don't if you've heard of it - called NCIS.  I could get you on set if you want and you could talk with the sound guys or whoever."  

Now, that being said... this is not normal!  Things don't just fall out of thin air like that... especially multiple times a day!!!  I don't know if the CSI connection is the same person or if it's two different CSIs (CSI and CSI:NY or whatever) or two different people, but regardless, it's more connections.  And NCIS?  I LOVE that show!  I actually like it more than any of the CSIs.  
But seriously, how could anyone say that this isn't the field I'm supposed to be in?  True, part of me still wants to do FBI, and maybe one day I will... but for now it is undeniable that it is most definitely film!  

**And as a funny side story.  Two of my friends came over last night - Jackie and Adam.  Sarah thought Adam looked really familiar but she couldn't figure out why.  She didn't say anything about it until this morning when we were getting ready for church when she then asked me "this might sound like a weird question, but has your friend Adam been in anything before?"  I paused to think about what she might recognize him from and then said "Umm... he was in Charly..."  She gasped and said "oh my GOSH you're RIGHT!  That's totally how I know him!  No way!!  That's so cool!" Haha it made me laugh.  Great way to start the day. :) **

3 comments:

Stephen Anderson said...

My boss wrote the soundtrack to Charly. Small world.

Marisa said...

That's awesome! --I love that soundtrack.

Leanne said...

Marisa that is so awesome! Do me a favor when you work on CSI... tell them in real life we just turn on the light instead of using a flashlight the whole time! :) I'm so excited for you!