Pages

Monday, July 27, 2009

Meet Me In...Agoura?

So remember how I posted a few days ago about Nick Vujicic?  What I didn't include is that I wrote a letter to him/his staff about how life with my Dad was as a child.  For those of you who don't know, my dad is a paraplegic and has been pretty much all my life (I was barely a year old when it happened).  The letter was basically stating how he was just as good a dad as anyone else - regardless of whether or not he had working legs, and how when I was younger, I didn't even realize he was 'different' in any way because to me he was just Dad.  I didn't think much about the letter after I sent it, and definitely didn't expect the response(s) that I have gotten!  First, a day later, his aunt emailed me thanking me for 'sharing my story' and everything.  I thought it was cool that she took the time to respond, but I also figured that it would end at that.
But this morning I got another letter from the staff also thanking me for my story and now they want to schedule a time for me and my dad to meet with Nick as well as his parents when they fly in sometime in August! (they live in Australia - my favorite place!)  Cool, huh?  I don't think my dad will be able to make it because he and my mom just barely spent a fortune flying out (to Utah) for my graduation, but we can always do a video conference or something.  (I also think that they think that both he and I live in California... but my dad is sort of on the other side of the country!)  
I thought it was pretty cool though.  All I did was send out one simple letter basically telling about how cool my dad is, and I got this much of a response.  I called my dad and told him that I had "inadvertently made him famous." :P  He thought it was neat as well.  I'll keep you posted on what goes down in August!

4 comments:

Zarah said...

That's so cool! That was so nice of them to respond to your letter. I love it when people do surprising things!

Marisa said...

And I love YOU Zarah for leaving so many comments!! :D

Chulitamaya said...

Cool Marissa, hope you take lots of pictures and post them here.

Olivia Heilmann said...

That is amazing. I can't wait to hear what comes of it!