Pages

Sunday, July 19, 2009

A Sunday Well Spent Brings a Week of Content

Well, this Sunday wasn't well-spent.  I realized that it was the first time in nearly a year that I had to work on a Sunday.  I knew it was going to come sooner or later, but I guess I still just wasn't quite prepared for it.  And it was weird, because the few times that I had to work on Sunday while living in Utah it didn't seem to bother me nearly as much.  I think it was because I knew that it was pretty much a one-time thing.  I worked on Sundays when I worked at the MTC, also when I worked at MPS and we did Mission President Seminar and stuff, once with HSM3 and once with American Idol.  I think those are the only four times I've ever had to work on Sundays, and two of those four things were for the church so it at least still felt like a Sunday, we still had the sacrament and stuff, etc.  I know I'm going to have to "pay my dues" and work on Sundays in order to get started and established out here, but gosh do I hate it.
I decided the 2nd week I moved out here that if it was an unpaid gig, I wouldn't work Sundays... but if it's paid, then I pretty much have no choice.  Before I can qualify to become Union (and actually work decent-paying jobs), I have to have 100 documented days of PAID work, so every day that I can add to that is one closer to getting good pay.  And if it happens to be a 10 or 11am crew call, I could still find the closest church building and at least go to Sacrament Meeting (I'm going to call it SM).  Or if lunch (30-60 minutes) falls perfectly, then I could jet out during lunch in order to make it for at least part of SM.  And once I'm working on real stuff and there's a sound utility as well, maybe he could boom for me for an hour and a half while I go to SM.  And once I become even more established, maybe I could find people to day-play for me on Sundays so I wouldn't have to work at all on those days.  I'm still working out the details, but those are some ideas that I have.
In the meantime, I did still have to work today... and it felt awful.  So, since I knew I wouldn't be able to go to church, I downloaded a ton of conference talks and put them onto my ipod, listening to those all day instead of the usual movie-watching thing.  I also brought my scriptures and journal with me and read (and wrote) in a hidden corner during lunch today.  I even thought about wearing more Sunday-ish clothes, but that's really not possible in this environment.  I've got a pack around my waist, I have to stand on apple boxes and chairs and who knows what else, and a skirt is just not conducive to that atmosphere.  And I guess I should invest in some good slacks... because I found out that the only pair I own are too big for me now.  
Aside from it being Sunday, filming today was pretty good.  One of the actors is absolutely hilarious and you can't help but laugh at just about everything he says.  At one point, he got one of the other actors on a 'giggle streak' and we had to take 5 just so he could regain his composure again.  And I impressed the heck out of this guy (the comedian one) too, because he said an absolutely random line from a movie - not expecting anyone to even guess it was a quote - and I knew it and said it.  His jaw dropped to the floor and he then replied with "HIGH FIVE!!!"  (PS, it was from Robin Hood: Men In Tights... one of my Top 5 Favs).  He then proceeded to quote every single other line from the movie throughout the day and I would finish the quote.  Apparently not everyone knows it word-for-word like we do... haha.

No comments: