Pages

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Remember The Sabbath Day, To Keep It Holy

How do you explain to someone who isn't LDS why you don't do certain things on Sunday?  I haven't really had this as an issue since high school, because I went to Utah right after I graduated and was there for the next 5 years.  Somehow it seems like it was easier in high school, or you could always blame it on your parents (I used to walk into the room -while still on the phone with said friend- shaking my head and ask my mom, "Mom, can I go to such&such next week?"  She'd catch on, say "no", and that was that.  It was my way of getting out of things I didn't want to go to, because then my friend would hear my mom say "No" and that would be the end of it).
However, I don't have Mom to say 'no' for me anymore.  Since I've been in L.A. it seems that everyone who isn't LDS goes to bars for social outings.  And Sunday is just another day in the week where anything can happen.  Yes, I have been to a bar before and no, I didn't have anything... but I have discovered that they just aren't the most comfortable of places for me to be.  I will still go when the situation calls for it (wrap parties, networking opportunities, etc), but I try to keep it to a minimum.  This one however, is not nearly as difficult as the Sunday factor.
Traditionally, Sunday is a day of rest.  It used to be that most things were closed on Sundays and it was a day that people went to church and spent time with their families, etc.  As we are all well aware, that 'tradition' has long since passed.  Even those who do go to church will still do other things afterwards.  Lots of people go out to eat after church.  Some may go see a movie, or to a concert, grocery shopping, etc.  I dealt with some of those quite frequently in high school.  On more than one occasion, I was invited to a concert - but it was on a Sunday and thus, I didn't go.  And I may have "missed out," but I felt good about my decision and was glad that I chose to decline on those offers.
Now, to those of you who may read this and aren't LDS, I will briefly explain why we don't do things such as eat out, see a movie, etc on Sundays.  I was always raised that you weren't to do anything on Sunday that would cause you or others to work.  There was even a popular primary song that started with "Saturday is a special day, it's the day we get ready for Sunday."  If we had groceries to buy, we did it on Saturday.  Instead of going out to eat to celebrate something, we made a huge dinner together.  Instead of going to a sporting event, we would play games together.  To me, Sunday was quite frequently a guaranteed bit of "family time."  I'd talk with my mom, watch a movie with my dad, play a game with my sister, etc.  
I know that I no longer live with my family, but that doesn't mean that I throw it all out the window just because I'm no longer there.  It runs deeper than that.  It has become a part of me and who I am.  If I ever participate in something on Sunday that I know I shouldn't, I get this awful feeling in the pit of my stomach and wish that I hadn't gone to or done whatever it was.  I feel so much more at peace when I keep to the things I know should be done on Sundays.
To me, Sunday is like my recharge day.  It's the one day of the week that I don't have to worry about everything that's going on in my life.  When I started college, I made it a goal to never do homework on Sundays.  I stuck with that, and it seriously made a huge difference.  It was the one day where I didn't have to be stressed about the next project, paper, test, etc.  I may not be in school anymore, but that still applies now with errands I may need to get done, bills I need to pay, etc.  

“Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.  Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:  But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work.” Exodus 20:8-10

These verses seem to be subject to interpretation these days, with justifications attached.  Now, I am not saying that if you do not 'keep the Sabbath day holy' that I think you are a terrible person or anything.  Some people are religious, some aren't, and some are in between; and that is a decision that you and you alone must make for yourself.  Regardless, I will still be just as good of a friend to you and love you just the same.  But for me, I just feel better about myself when I 'remember the Sabbath day' and 'keep it holy.'  I found this really great quote when thinking about this:

"When a community or nation grows careless in its Sabbath activities, its religious life decays, all aspects of life are negatively affected, and the blessings associated with keeping the Sabbath day holy are lost.  You should refrain from shopping or participating in other commercial and sporting activities that now commonly desecrate the Sabbath.  As you endeavor to make your Sabbath activities compatible with the intent and Spirit of the Lord, your life will be filled with joy and peace."

I definitely feel like my life has been "filled with joy and peace" because of that.  Test it out for yourself - see if it makes a difference.  I guess in the end, the answer for me is simple.  The Sabbath day is a holy day meant to be kept as such.  No matter how antiquated that may seem to some, I personally feel that it still applies today, and I will continue to observe it as best as I can.  

2 comments:

Marisa said...

I also feel that I need to include this, but didn't know where to put it so it will come as a "P.S." sort of thing. While working on Sundays should be avoided if at all possible, it is sometimes inescapable. I have had to work on Sundays before, and I absolutely hate having to do it... but sometimes there is just no other choice. Sometimes dues must be paid before you are allowed to request Sundays off. And sometimes it's just part of the profession. Law enforcement members, firemen, doctors, etc. People still get in accidents and get sick on Sundays, and we need people there.

Unknown said...

I agree. Besides the spiritual rewards of keeping a commandment, it is very relieving to know that I can have a day of guilt-free resting: there's nothing I'm neglecting or should be spending my time better on. I'm not wasting time just sitting there. It's a very rejuvenating day - I guess God knows what he's talking about.