Pages

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Baptism!

Jackie got baptized yesterday! It was awesome!!! I was telling her on Friday that she's the first really close friend of mine to get baptized and that seemed to make her even more excited. It sure as heck made me excited! We got up yesterday morning, got ready, fed her friend's dogs, and then headed to the church. Oh and before we left her house, we had to take pictures of course. :P

We got there a bit early, but had time to chat with those who were coming in. I also disappeared for a few minutes so I could go and put her gift together, so it would be ready once the baptismal service as over. It started with a couple of really awesome talks from friends of hers, and then... she got baptized! Yay!!! Oh, but before that there was this amazing musical number that her friend and a friend of his put together and it was beautiful. It was their own impromptu version of "I'm Trying To Be Like Jesus" and I'm pretty sure it made Jackie's mom cry (she isn't a member).


After the baptism, a bunch of us went to Cheesecake Factory to celebrate. Jackie, Jackie's mom, Jackie's friend Alice (but said like "uh-leese"), as well as her friend Jeanette and her boyfriend, Adam Johnson and a friend of his, the missionaries, and I all went. We had a blast and were there for quite some time. And while it was great fun, the thing I was most impressed about was Jackie's mother.

Her mom is born-and-raised Catholic and oftentimes when people join the church, it seems to tear families apart, though I still can't understand why. Anyway, I was just absolutely blown away by her mom's support. She wasn't exactly happy about it, but she was happy for Jackie and very supportive of her decision. She bought her a gift, as well as a 'Congratulations!' card and even came to church with us today. She is an absolutely fabulous mother. I wish more mothers acted like that when their child makes the decision to be baptized. She may not agree with church doctrine, but she does recognize that Jackie not only believes it, but that it has made her a better person. I can't say enough about her mother. She was awesome.

I am so excited for Jackie! And I am SO happy I was able to make it down to L.A.!! Baptisms are awesome!!!

1 comment:

Olivia Heilmann said...

That is amazing and so wonderful for your friend.