Pages

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Promontory Summit, Bear Lake, and Wakeboarding, Oh My!

This weekend consisted of a lot of 'firsts.' It was my first time to Promontory Summit, which is commonly mistaken to be Promontory Point. We however were corrected upon arrival that we were actually at Promontory Summit. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's where the first Transcontinental Railroad of the U.S. was officially completed (1869). Again, I have no pictures from that - they're on Mike's camera and I haven't gotten a copy of them yet... so those will be forthcoming. It was really fun, though! They have exact replicas of the 2 trains and we took a ton of pictures as close to them as possible (we couldn't actually get on either of them because they are both fully functioning trains). It was about an hour (round trip) detour so we figured, why not? We spent maybe 45 minutes to an hour there and then headed to Bear Lake.

That is another first: Bear Lake! I had never been there before. I feel like I have quite a few friends whose families have cabins up there, but I've just never managed to make it out there! We stayed with the Johnson's at their cabin - Mike's family and the Johnsons are very close friends. They're from Agoura as well, and I had actually met most of the family this summer while living with the Womacks. It was fun to see them again! We got there around 5ish and shortly thereafter, everyone went to this local pizza place for dinner. Afterwards was just chilling and/or playing games for the evening.

Saturday morning we all got suited up and went to the actual lake for some wakeboarding! Keep in mind, this was my first time ever trying to wakeboard! Minus the fact that I never fully got up, it was really fun! I got SO close! But my hands were too raw to keep going until I got all the way up. Oh well. There's always next time! :) It took Keri a few times to get up, but she finally got it; Ben has done it who knows how many times and had no problem at all. Next was Mike and he got up once or twice, and then was Brother Johnson and he has definitely done it a lot as well! Oh yeah - there were 9 of us, so we split up onto 2 boats, and Casey, his wife Erin, the other Mike, and Juliet were on the other boat. (Sister Johnson stayed at the cabin because her parents were coming into town within the hour).

We got back and had some AMAZING home cooked food and then watched an AWESOME football game! #20 BYU played #3 Oklahoma, and WE WON! Woohoo!! It was such a great game. If you didn't see it, you really missed out! 14-13 was the final score and this is going to shoot us so far up in the rankings! This is going to be a good year for football...!

1 comment:

Olivia Heilmann said...

It must be a Mormon thing.... I love Bear Lake. The place of my youth...Family Reunions.