Pages

Friday, September 18, 2009

I'll Be Out In A Jiffy!

Well, as you probably would suspect, I wasn't really up to writing in here yesterday! But I will let you know that all went well and I feel that I am recovering rather quickly. The quick run-down of what happened yesterday:

Zarah got here around 10 and we drove up to SLC. We got there around 10:50, I filled out some paperwork, went back to get my x-rays and then had to wait til about 11:45 before they finally called me back. I then had to wait another 10 minutes or so for the dentist to come back. He had already looked at my x-ray and said "well, it looks pretty clean cut. We'll be done in about 15 minutes!" I was slightly confused because I had heard that impacted teeth were more difficult and could cause more complications, so I asked him about that. He said "Yes, the bottom two are technically impacted; however they have partially surfaced, which makes them much easier to get out, so it'll be a breeze."

The anesthesiologist had come in right around then and began explaining to me what he was going to do/stick me with, and how it would affect me. He tied this elastic around the upper part of my right arm and told me to make a fist. He distracted me while he stuck me with something, and then informed me that next he'd be putting in the medication that would knock me out. He said it would take about 30 seconds for it to take effect. I remember beginning to say "I think it's working," but I'm pretty sure it sounded more like "I think... it's......." haha.

Next thing I knew, it was over and I was awake. Well, sort of. I was still pretty out of it. The nurse went over everything with myself and Zarah and I was definitely grateful for Zarah because I sure as heck didn't remember a thing the nurse was saying! Once we got back to my place, Zarah told me everything that I had said, and admitted that she was slightly disappointed that I hadn't said crazy things. She said "you were definitely out of it, but you were asking really intelligent questions! You kept asking the nurse about things that you could or couldn't eat, and you asked if you could have a milkshake. You asked about the prescriptions a couple of times, too." And I apparently asked Zarah 3 times from that point to the time we got home if she had called my mom. (My mom told me Thursday morning before I went in that she wanted Zarah to call her afterward so she would know that all was well).

We stopped at Wal-Mart on the way home so we could fill my prescriptions. I'm not entirely sure why, but I have FOUR. One is just a massive dosage of ibuprofen (800mg each). Another is some sort of antibiotic that I'm supposed to take breakfast, lunch, dinner, and right before bed. Then I had "Lortab/Percoset" and I'm not sure if that is combined in one or if it is two separate ones. But with the Lortab, I know I do take a smaller pill as well. So maybe that's the percoset? Or maybe that's the other antibiotic of sorts. I really have no idea. All I know though, is that whatever I'm taking... it's working!

I was worried that I would barely be coherent for the following days, but I have done pretty well yesterday and today! Granted, after I take one of the sets of meds, I usually conk out for a few hours afterward, other than that I am great! I think the Lortab/Pecoset stuff is what knocks me out more. I took that at 3 this afternoon and suddenly it became very difficult to stay awake. I was out by 4, and don't remember a thing again until about 6!!

My cheeks are kiiing of swollen, but not really. A few friends came over tonight and watched a movie, and they said I hardly looked swollen at all - and that I "definitely didn't look like someoneo who had just gotten their wisdom teeth taken out." So that's good! I have been following all of "doctor's orders" to a T. I have been 'rinsing' my mouth with saltwater multiple times a day, taking the meds every 3 hours as recommended (alternating between the Lortab set and ibuprofen set), eating with each dosage, icing as frequently as possible...

What I'm still scared about is dry sockets. I'm told that those usually appear on the 3rd day, and tomorrow will technically be Day 3... and I'll be working all day tomorrow up in Weber. I just hope that I'll be coherent enough to work and function and be able to operate a hard camera for an entire football game...! We'll see what happens! When everyone else goes for lunch, I will probably just find a place to crash and take a nap. :P

But there you have it. My first experience "going under" and so far, I am one of those "good experience" stories. I just hope it stays that way and continues to be smooth sailing from here on out!! :)

2 comments:

Megan said...

WOW! Way to go! I am happy you are recovering. Sounds like you are donig an awesome job of taking care of them. I got a dry socket when I got mine and that was HELL but that was only because I had no idea how to take care of my mouth, but sounds like you are doing exactly what you are supposed to! I am sure you will be just fine. :)

Mary said...

I'm glad you are making a fast recovery, but I'm sure you'll miss out on some fun wisdom teeth battle stories, haha. Actually, you will win since it took you like two days to fully recover (and I am quite jealous of that).