Pages

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Take A Hint!

Alright… I hate being mean… especially when it comes to guys. I will almost always go on at least one date with a guy who asks me out, and sometimes a second. But if there is no interest on one or both parties, the guy can usually pick up that the girl is in fact, not interested. But, that doesn’t always stop them. Some are very persistent little buggers and there is no nice way to break the news to them! Such is the case with Joe (I changed the name). I don’t even know when or where we first met. We’re in the same ward, so probably at church or some ward function. And actually, when we met I was dating someone else so I didn’t even think I had to worry about that. But either he never knew that, or it just didn’t stop him.

A few weeks later, he asked me out, and I had since broken up with the guy I was dating, so I figured “why not?” Like I said, always give the guy a chance. I don’t remember what happened, but something very legitimate came up and I -- oh, I finally got some work and I had to take it.

Anyway, so we rescheduled and did something the next week instead, but I just wasn’t feeling it. He however, must have thought differently. He called me up a few days later and asked for that coming Saturday. I told him I wasn’t sure if I’d be in town or not, because there was a very likely possibility that I’d be in California that weekend (for Jackie’s baptism). He said, “well let’s just tentatively set it and then if you do end up going, give me a call.” Well, the next day things worked out for my trip to California so I called him up to cancel and he randomly happened to on my front porch, trying to get a hold of another roommate of mine. So I went upstairs and let him in and while he waited for my other roommate, I cancelled.

He said, “Oh that’s okay – we can do it next weekend!” I said, “Oh, but it’s Conference weekend.” (I have various plans that whole weekend with friends in town, etc). He said “Oh that’s right – okay we can do it the weekend after that.” That was the point where I’m sure my face said more than my words because in my head I thought “Are you kidding me?” because who makes plans 3 weeks in advance? Shoot, I don’t even know what my schedule 3 days from now is let alone 3 weeks! So then he said, “oh are you working that weekend?” I told him that I might be (which is true, because it was 3 weeks away) and so he finally relinquished and said that we’d figure something out after I got back from California. (Oh I forgot to mention that the day I was driving to California, he also invited me for ice cream somewhere, but again, I couldn’t go – I was sort of driving through Vegas at that time.)

WELL… I am currently at my grandparents’ house for a few days and got this voicemail tonight. It was from Joe and I had missed the call (there isn’t very good service up here, so most calls just go straight to voicemail). So I listened to it and about fell over. He was calling to make sure we were still on for this Friday! …seriously? When was that discussed and where was I when those plans were made? I can’t call out here, so I’ll have to wait until I get back to talk to him (he doesn’t use facebook or anything; and thus doesn’t know about my blog either, thank goodness), but you’ve got to be kidding me! I already said that Conference weekend was out! And now all of a sudden we have a date planned?? Is he trying to be sneaky or something? Sorry buddy, but I have an excellent memory (and a VERY accurate journal) and I sure as heck would have remembered agreeing to that. I am just getting more and more frustrated with this guy and don’t know how to break it to him gently that I am clearly not interested!

Why is it always that the ones you’re interested in are never into you, and the ones you are clearly not into are the ones who won’t leave you alone!? Bah!

3 comments:

Alyssa said...

Something similar like that happened to me once... and then I ended up marrying the guy.

So maybe his persistence will be a really good thing! In the beginning, I never thought I would even kind of fall for Lewis, and now here were are!

Mary said...

Similar things happened to me and I ended up marrying someone else, haha! If there is good reason you're not going out with him, then don't. You can get to know him on group outings or something less... intimidating.

Olivia Heilmann said...

That cracks me up and SO reminds me of my dating days. GRRRR!!!!! Glad that is over!