Pages

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Going Under

Alright, I know I have already written a post on this, but seeing as the appointment is tomorrow, it is sort of largely on my mind: I get my wisdom teeth taken out tomorrow. I have never had mouth work, never had a needle or an IV stuck into me, and never had any sort of anesthesia/been "knocked out." Granted, I have no idea the procedure for wisdom teeth... I have no idea how they go about 'knocking me out' or what will happen afterward. I doubt IVs will be involved, since it is supposedly such a short procedure - they'll probably just gas me or something, but who knows! But then, what if I'm the 1-in-100 where whatever they give me to knock me out doesn't last long enough and I wake up in the middle?!

I have heard both really good and incredibly bad stories of friends who have already gotten theirs out. One friend said that they didn't even put him under, and he was fine by the end of the day. Another said he was out for days afterward. A roommate of mine two years ago had hers out while we lived together, and she was out for quite a few days, too. One was coherent pretty soon after, but in constant pain. I have another friend who said and did the strangest things once he got home - the drugs they gave him did weird stuff to him. So, I am also slightly worried about the weird things that I may say or do after, and the level of pain and coherency that will exist as well.

Maybe I'm sounding like a wuss about this, but it's really freaking me out! I guess it wouldn't be AS bad if I knew I had nowhere I needed to be for the next few days and could just be 'dead to the world' for a bit... but I have work on Saturday! I *have* to be back to normal by then! *sigh*
I'm just praying that it is a NORMAL procedure and nothing goes awry and that I will heal quickly.... wish me luck!

1 comment:

Mary said...

I don't want to sound like a debbie downer, but my cheeks were so swollen after I got my wisdom teeth out, I wasn't back to "normal" even a week and a half afterward. When I had my checkup appointment, my doctor was like, "Your cheeks are still REALLY swollen." And I said, "No, they've actually gone down a whoooole lot." I looked like a cabbage patch doll for quite some time. Other than that, what can beat watchin movies for three days straight?