Pages

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Songs of the Sabbath

One of my best friends and I have this tradition - each time we see each other, we sing hymns together - a cappella. She takes soprano, I take alto, and each verse we switch. It has just been something really fun and relaxing to do each time we get together. However, this friend (I love you Mary!) has gotten married and moved across the country and I never see her anymore! :( Sunday night I was with another good friend, Mimi, and she sings as well. I told her about this tradition Mary and I had and she got super excited and said "Let's do it!!!" So she jumped up, grabbed her hymn book, brought it over, opened it up and said "Alright, how about this one?" And so it began.
We only sang 3 or 4 songs, but it was awesome. I missed so much doing that with Mary! Mimi seemed to love it too, so maybe I found a new hymn-singing friend! :P

Speaking of hymn-singing... my old ward (in Sparks) also has a tradition. Every Sunday night at 8:30 everyone gathers together, bringing hymn books of all languages and we all sing together in the language of our choice! Oh my goodness it is so much fun. I really wanted to go last week (my first Sunday back) but had other plans so I missed it! Tonight we had English (of course), Spanish, Portuguese, French, Russian, Dutch, Norwegian, and possibly one or two others. That is definitely one thing that is so cool about Provo - 70% of the population is bilingual or multilingual! I love it!!!

I am sure that I just classified myself as a super music nerd, but oh well! What can I say... I am! What is cooler than combining music with languages! Music is the same in every language! How awesome is that! Yay for music. :D

1 comment:

Olivia Heilmann said...

I love that about music. It transcends...